Navy Reserve, Naval War College (Law)
Pringle Hall Auditorium
U.S. Naval War College
Naval Station, Newport, Rhode Island
The YANKEE Operational Law Symposium series is the primary professional continuing education event for international and operational law specialists in the Navy Reserve Law Program, but draws a large, multi-service audience of Guard, Reserve, and active duty judge advocates.
The 2011 symposium will follow the same basic theme as the Naval War College International Law Department's June conference, “Non-International Armed Conflict (NIAC) in the 21st Century.” The agenda will consist of a full-day program on Saturday, a reception that evening and a half-day program Sunday. Topics to be explored are:
- Types of NIACs and Applicable Law
- Legal Status of Actors in NIAC
- Means and Methods in NIAC
- Recent and Ongoing NIACs
- Detention in NIAC
- Enforcement in NIAC
Confirmed presentations include:
- Incoming Naval War College Stockton Professor Ken Watkin, former JAG of the Canadian Forces, will provide an overview of the June conference and offer insights on the most important issues and trends.
- The Army's Center for Law And Military Operations will address lessons learned in Iraq and Afghanistan
- A DOJ-Navy JAGC-FBI panel will delve into the prosecution of piracy cases in U.S. courts.