The Naval War College’s Luce Hall, seen from Dewey Field, looking north. Luce Hall, which opened in 1892, was the College’s first purpose-built structure. Spruance Hall (1972) and Conolly Hall (1974) are visible in the background. Founders Hall (previously the Newport Asylum for the Poor), in which the College was established in 1884, is out of the picture to the right; it houses today the Naval War College Museum, the Maritime History Department, and [formerly] the editorial offices of the Naval War College Press.
Photograph by Judith Tate, Portsmouth, Rhode Island.