Stanley D. Carpenter, Professor/Ph.D.
S&P Division Head
College of Distance Education | S&P
Professor of Strategy and Policy, Deputy Division Head, Strategy and Policy (S&P) Division, Homeland Security/Homeland Defense Area of Study Coordinator and Naval War College Command Historian, College of Distance Education (CDE), United States Naval War College (NWC), Newport, RI
United States Naval Officer, Active and Reserve - Retired as Captain – 1979-2009
- Surface Warfare Officer
- Cruiser, Destroyer, PHIBRON/DESRON Staff billets
- Naval Control of Shipping billets
- Naval Communications billets
- Four Commanding Officer, one Executive Officer, one
- Chief Staff Officer tours
- Navy Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer – Rhode
- Island State NEPLO, Lead Navy EPLO FEMA Region II
- Ph.D. in British Military History, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida, December 1998
- M.Litt. in British Military History, University of St Andrews, St Andrews, Scotland,
- B.A. with Honors in History, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, May 1975
- Diploma, Naval Command and Staff, United States Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, June 2000
- Post-graduate courses in War Studies, King's College, University of London, London, England, October 1977 to January 1978
- British Military History; British Naval History; Tudor-Stuart Britain; Early Modern Europe; British Civil Wars; English Revolution; Military Leadership Effectiveness; Hanoverian Britain; Scottish Military History; Anglo-French Naval Rivalry; World War II; World War I; Hapsburg Naval History; 19th Century United States (Civil War/Reconstruction); Modern Europe Since 1815; Europe, 1870-1945; East Central Europe, 1815-1991; European Naval and Military History, 1870-1945; French Revolution and Napoleonic Europe; Homeland Security/Homeland Defense
Monographs and Edited Volumes
- Military Leadership in the British Civil Wars, 1642-1651: ‘The Genius of this Age’
(London: Taylor and Francis (Frank Cass), hardback, 2005 and paperback, 2006).
- The English Civil War. Editor, The International Library of Essays on Military History. (Aldershot, UK: Ashgate), 2007.
- Cornwallis and the British Imperial Dilemma: A Study in Asymmetric Warfare (Writing and research in progress).
- Chapter on Admiral Thomas H. Moorer, USN, in Nineteen Gun Salute: Case Studies of Strategic and Operational Naval Leadership in the 20th Century, ed. John Hattendorf and Bruce Elleman. (Newport, RI: Naval War College Press), 2009.
- Chapter on the 1940 Two-Ocean Naval Legislation in A Hundred Years of Naval Air Power, ed. Douglas V. Smith. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press (forthcoming November 2010).
- Resurrection of Antimony (Indianapolis: AuthorHouse, 2009).