|Contact us at email@example.com.
Dr. Marc Genest and Dr. Andrea Dew
686 Cushing Rd
Newport RI 02841-1207
The Center on Irregular Warfare and Armed Groups (CIWAG) at the United States Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island, is dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of the challenges presented by irregular warfare (IW) and non-state actors (armed groups) in the twenty-first century.
CIWAG’s Mission and History
CIWAG was established in 2008 at the US Naval War College to promote interdisciplinary study of the challenges presented by irregular warfare and armed groups in the 21st century. CIWAG focuses on fostering interaction, collaboration, and interagency coordination across professional military and civilian educational institutions throughout the country and with US allies. Its mission encompasses curriculum development, research, and outreach:
- Promote and support research and teaching on irregular warfare and armed groups;
- Deliver direct support to practitioners by providing civilian special advisors in combat theaters of operations, and by creating and running pre- and post-deployment workshops on operational and strategic matters for both conventional and Special Operations forces;
- Facilitate interaction and collaboration between professional military educational institutions, civilian academics, and battlefield operators;
- Disseminate cutting-edge analysis via symposia and workshops to provide a forum for dialogue at the Naval War College between US and international practitioners and scholars;
- Expand outreach and networking activities to establish and sustain a community of interest devoted to the study and teaching of irregular warfare and armed groups.