|Evolution of War Gaming
FOUNDERS HALL, ca. 1888
From the opening of the Naval War College in 1885, Lieutenant William McCarty Little was one of the earliest to volunteer to donate his time and services to assist Rear Admiral Stephen B. Luce at the College. Among his early activities he and the second College President, Captain Alfred Thayer Mahan, worked out a system of graphical representations to explain the principles behind historical naval battles. An aspect of this is probably what J. O. Davidson depicted when he visited the Naval War College in its original home, Founder’s Hall, in 1888. It is the first known image of war gaming in Newport and was published in Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper (1888).