Need Library Help?
Students have access to the library 24/7 outside the posted staffed hours.
Staffed Supported Hours
0730 to 1630
Closed on Federal Holidays
About the Library
Located in the Learning Commons facility, we play a central role in NWC's mission to educate leaders. The Library's mission is to provide comprehensive resources and services in support of the College’s learning, research, and teaching needs.
Our Objectives Click to Open
To carry out our mission, the library commits to:
- Partner in the educational mission of the institution to develop and support information-literate learners;
- Understand the learning, research, and teaching needs of both its resident and distance education students and faculty;
- Develop and maintain physical and virtual spaces, collections and discovery layers that enable learning, research, and knowledge exchange;
- Measure and assess learning spaces and information literacy learning outcomes;
- Collaborate with other libraries and archives in Navy higher education to share and conserve resources;
- Ensure that materials of enduring value are preserved and made accessible;
- Continue evolving the information ecology of the Learning Commons by developing activities and aligning spaces to match student needs.
Our Vision Click to Open
Our vision is to become the premier Professional Military Education library through evidence-based practices and continuous reinvention with a focus on information stewardship and activities that benefit learning and research, and a commitment to making the library a truly innovative organization.
Our Policy & Report Click to Open
Library Strategic Plan
Since the founding of the Naval War College, the library has served as a support network addressing the unique needs of the College community, partnering in research education, providing access to information content and empowering students, faculty, and staff to create, share, curate, and reflect on their learning and research. Download Plan
Collection Development Policy
This policy is intended to communicate the library’s collection goals and practices. It establishes guidelines for the selection, evaluation, and weeding of the library’s collection. Download Policy
The NWC Library has always been central to the college's educational and research programs. Its origins can be traced to a requisition for library books in August 1885. The library was named in honor of the late Rear Admiral Henry Effingham Eccles, a noted logistician, strategist, and author whose association with NWC spanned 38 years.
Our library staff is standing by to assist you and available in person at the hours posted below.
Library Faculty & Staff
Our experienced faculty have years of earned expertise across a wide range of writing, history, security studies, and other educational topics. To learn more, please use the link below to access the online directory.Visit Faculty