About this lecture series
Lectures of Opportunity (LOOs) offer Naval War College (NWC) students, faculty, and staff an opportunity to learn more about national and international socio-political subjects that may be of relevance to the NWC community.
Editors from four of the four of the leading periodicals that focus on issues of strategy and policy will be at the Naval War College to discuss the publishing process. Even published authors with multiple books and articles, do not always understand the decisions and considerations of editors. Since the experience and perspective of editors vary from publication to publication from field to field, the NWC has put together a panel of people representing history, political science, and international relations. These individuals are:
- Bill Eliason, Editor in Chief, Joint Force Quarterly
- Patricia Clough, Managing Editor, PRISM
- Tim Hoyt, Deputy Editor, Journal of Strategic Studies
- Carnes Lord, Editor, Naval War College Review
These four will talk on what authors need to know about how publishing works. Issues and questions they will address include:
- What topics do you want like? Don’t like?
- What type of submissions do you want to see? Research articles? Reviews? Opinion pieces?
- How does the publication process for your periodical work?
- What is the word count/length of your articles?
- How long does publication take?
- What are “dos” and “don’ts”?
- What are common mistakes authors make?