About the Registrar
The Dean of Students serves as the Registrar and operates the military equivalent of an admissions office and student records office. We are responsible for academic records to coordinating graduate degree and diploma preparations for both resident and nonresident students.
We handle transcript requests for students and alumni in the College of Naval Warfare, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval Command College, Naval Staff College, and the College of Distance Education.
Please Note: Transcripts are only sent out upon written request and with authorization from the graduate.
Ordering a Transcript
Please send a completed Transcript Request Form (DOC) to the Registrar's Office by:
- Scanning and Emailing to: Transcripts@usnwc.edu
- Faxing to: (401) 841-7568
- Mailing to:
Office of the Registrar
U.S. Naval War College
686 Cushing Road
Newport RI 02841-1207
Please Note: For mailing, please allow a minimum of 7 to 10 business days for processing.
Education Verifications & Background Investigations
For verification of an NWC student’s academic record, please fax a signed release form from the student to (401) 841-7568.
Please Note: Verifications cannot be provided over the telephone.
Civilian Application Instructions
Every academic year, selected departments and agencies are invited to nominate civilian applicants for admission to the College of Naval Warfare (GS14-GS15, or equivalent) and the College of Naval Command and Staff (GS13-GS14, or equivalent).
Admission for civilian students, nominated by their parent agency, are required to submit a formal application package to NWC.
Admission Requirements for Civilian Nominees
- Completed application form.
- Transcripts from baccalaureate and advanced degrees.
- Minimum of a secret security clearance.
- Biography or resume to include education and relevant work history (Maximum of two pages).
- Two letters of recommendation (LOR), at least one from a direct supervisor addressing communications skills both written and oral. A board nomination letter may be submitted in lieu of these LOR’s if candidate is selected by panel.
- Sample written essay addressing how you would benefit from participating in a Professional Military Education program offered at the NWC and how other students, especially military personnel, would benefit from your unique civilian agency perspective (Maximum of two pages).