Housing Information During COVID-19
Students arriving from outside the U.S. will immediately enter a 14-day Restriction of Movement (ROM) status, also known as quarantine, on Newport Naval Station. This ROM includes students arriving from previous duty stations inside the U.S. with authorized dependents.
While in quarantine, all students must remain in their rooms and maintain strict social distancing protocols. Meals will be coordinated by the staff of International Programs.
All students arriving from outside the U.S. will be billeted in Navy Gateway Inns and Suites (NGIS), the Navy Lodge, or assigned Balfour Beatty Communities (BBC) housing.
Navy Gateway Inn and Suites
Please Note: This is the default option reserved by International Programs.
- Students can stay in rooms through September 15, 2020.
- The U.S. Naval War College (NWC) has available food options and limited outside delivery options.
- Students may remain through the year but must individually contract with the Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ).
- After the Restriction of Movement (ROM) period, students may move to the Navy Lodge for long-term stay (when available).
- Students who wish to remain at the Navy Gateway Inn and Suites throughout the year (if rooms are available) must contact Navy Gateway through International Programs.
- Only a limited number of rooms reserved by International Programs.
- Students can stay in rooms through August 1, 2020.
- NWC has available food options but limited outside delivery options.
- Students who wish to remain at the Navy Lodge throughout the year (if rooms are available) must contact Navy Lodge through International Programs.
Please Note: If no rooms are available for long-term stay, students must move to BOQ or elsewhere until Navy Lodge becomes available. They may remain there through the year but must contract with the BOQ individually.
- An application is required to stay in BBC Housing, additionally, students must list family members with their anticipated arrival month.
- Some assistance is provided by NWC for food options, and outside delivery options are more easily available.
- Students must bring bed linens and must rent through graduation.
In-Town (Newport and surrounding area)
- The rental apartment or house must be found by the student and the leases must be checked with International Programs if the lodging is paid for by International Programs.
- No assistance is provided by NWC for food or necessities during ROM.
- Students who rent in-town may need to vacate property before graduation.
- If the student does not have family members, they may remain throughout the year, but must contract individually contract with BOQ.