Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Publishing (But Were Afraid to Ask)
Editors from four of the leading university presses in the country will be at the U.S. Naval War College (NWC) to discuss the publishing process. Even published authors with multiple books, do not always understand the decisions and considerations of editors. Since the experience and perspective of editors vary from press to press and from field to field, the NWC has put together a panel of people representing history, political science, and international relations. Issues and questions they will address include:
- How do you start?
- How do you pick a topic?
- Is it a subject for a book or an article?
- What is the difference between a dissertation and a book.
- How long does publishing take.
- What are the stages in publishing.
- What do you put in a book proposal?
- What are “dos” and “don’ts”.
- What are current trends in the academic literature.
- What are common mistakes authors make.
About this Lecture
Lectures of Opportunity offer NWC students, faculty, and staff an opportunity to learn more about national and international socio-political subjects that may be of relevance to the NWC community.