Functions of the Operational Support Office
The Reserve Affairs/Operational Support Office serves three primary functions at the Naval War College:
- Staffing all operational requirements for the NWC.
- Acting as the Subject Matter Experts for Reserve Component (RC) capabilities, issues and concerns within the college as well as acting as liaison with all RC units and members working at NWC.
- Coordinate all Operational Support for NWC.
Operational Support Units at NWC
- NWC Support Unit - supports NWC with general administrative and manpower requirements including War Gaming and Special Events.
- NWC Law Unit - supports the President of the U.S. Naval War College with a focus on providing research, editorial and conference support to the Stockton Center for International Law, seminar facilitators and instructors for the Joint Military Operations Department, as well as command services support to the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate. The unit is comprised of six senior judge advocates who have significant experience in International Humanitarian Law and Operational Law. This unit is also responsible for hosting the annual NWC Yankee Operational Law Training Symposium. This is an annual program of academic presentations focusing on the most prominent issues in international and operational law. It is the primary professional continuing education event for international and operational law specialists in the Navy Reserve law program, and also draws a large, multi-service audience of National Guard, Reserve and active duty judge advocates.
- NWC PAO Unit - consists of Public Affairs Officers and enlisted personnel whose primary duties are to support general public affairs, JPME War Gaming and other echelon 2/3 level needs.
Personnel interested in the possibility of affiliating should be aware that most billets require individuals who have specific backgrounds and are willing to routinely drill onboard. A summary of most commonly asked questions are on our FAQ page. If you still have questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact the Operational Support Office.See FAQ Page
Reserve AT/ADT/ADSW Opportunities
Below is a list of available AT, ADT and ADSW opportunities, if you are interested in any of these advertised positions, you may reply here: NWC Operational Support Office.
A few notes about orders to the Naval War College Click to Open
- Orders may be advertised that are not yet funded (NWC ADT funds are not yet available). If you are able to use funding from another source (AT, unit ADT, etc), please indicate such in your response. You will not be sent a requirement in NROWS until we have a valid funding source (either internal or external).
- All orders to support the Naval War College are written to support specific requirements, as detailed in the advertised billets. We do not accept “cold” solicitations for Reserve employment.
- NROWS requirements for NWC Support will be built by the NWC OSO. This is NOT true of student orders. For student information, see the “RC Student Information” link on the main Reserve Affairs page
- Security clearance requirements for events are mandatory. A site visit request must be provided in JPAS once you are accepted for a set of orders. If your security clearance cannot be verified, your orders will be disapproved/cancelled.
If you are reporting to NWC for AT or ADT, here is some important administrative information to ensure a smooth check-in.More on Onboarding
JPME Opportunities at the NWC
Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) is considered to be a key career milestone and important to your career and advancement. Reserve officers have the same JPME opportunities as their active duty counterparts.
Retirement Point Credit
For more information on Retirement Point Credit for all of our JPME Programs please click the button below.More Information
For information on in-residence JPME please click here, and visit College of Naval Warfare and College of Naval Command and Staff.College of Naval WarfareCollege of Naval Command and Staff
For information on Distance Education JPME please visit College of Distance Education.College of Distance Education